Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Night She Disappeared

How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.




*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Add your link to The Friday 56









The Night She Disappeared
April Henry

Beginning
It was me who took the order. It could have been anyone. I don't know why I feel guilty. But it was me.

Friday 56
"He could just wait until after school or go over to Kayla's house on a weekend or something, " I point out. "Why go to all the trouble of calling in a fake pizza order?"
"The same reason anyone would do it," Gabie says darkly, "So they would have privacy, out there in the middle of nowhere."



The Night She Disappeared
Gabie drives a Mini Cooper. She also works part time as a delivery girl at Pete’s Pizza. One night, Kayla—another delivery girl—goes missing. To her horror, Gabie learns that the supposed kidnapper had asked if the girl in the Mini Cooper was working that night. Gabie can’t move beyond the fact that Kayla’s fate was really meant for her, and she becomes obsessed with finding Kayla. She teams up with Drew, who also works at Pete’s. Together, they set out to prove that Kayla isn’t dead—and to find her before she is.
Reading level: Ages 12 and up
Hardcover: 240 pages Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR); First Edition edition (March 13, 2012)

About April Henry
I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.

When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He took it to lunch and showed it to the editor of an international children's magazine - and she asked to publish the story! (For no money, which might have been a warning about how hard it is to make a living writing.)
My dream of writing went dormant until I was in my 30s, working at a corporate job, and started writing books on the side. Those first few years are now thankfully a blur. Now I'm very lucky to make a living doing what I love. I have written 13 novels for adults and teens, with more on the way. My books have gotten starred reviews, been picked for Booksense, translated into four languages, been named to state reading lists, and short-listed for the Oregon Book Award. And Face of Betrayal, which I co-wrote with Lis Wiehl, was on the New York Times bestseller list for four weeks.

I also review literary fiction, YA literature, and mysteries and thrillers for the Oregonian, and have written articles for both The Writer and Writers Digest.

In 2012, look for two books: The Night She Disappeared, a teen thriller, and Eyes of Justice, co-written with Lis Wiehl.


Pre Order Now!


11 comments:

  1. I saw this book at my students desk. I should borrow it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good thriller, and have read one she co-wrote with Lis Wiehl that was decent. I bet I'd enjoy this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thrillers and I love pizza, so this might be my book! Sounds scary though! I'm an old follower! Hop on over if you have the time:
    http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2012/03/this-friday-night.html
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting thriller and the shared parts definitely give it an edge.

    Here's my Friday Post: http://tinyurl.com/7rrsjtp

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reading pile is stacked up.

    I've been working and riding horses every day! That's a good thing. They need to earn their groceries and I need to lose weight.

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds kind of scary!
    Here's my Friday 56: Friday 56 @ Megan Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is a really good beginning. I think I must read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good concept for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds spooky and a bit interested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh .. this looks and sounds creepy!


    guiltlessreading

    ReplyDelete

This is a Word Verification Free blog. Is yours?
No awards please.
Comments are always appreciated.