Monday, July 19, 2010

The Farmers' Market Challenge July 31st

The Challenge with a Purpose!

This challenge started last year after I did a post about our local farmers' market. One of my good blogging friends Rae suggested it would be interesting to see what kinds of products were available in other areas. The challenge was a great success, there were entries from all over the world. If you would like to see one of last year's challenges go HERE!

While this challenge is lots of fun it also has a purpose. The purpose of this challenge is to raise awareness for locally produced foods. Most of the food you purchase at the grocery store is grown somewhere else. What kinds of foods are produced in your local area? Are you supporting your local farmers?

Be it fruits, vegetables, dairy products or related items we want to know what's available where you live. The products can come from your local farmers' market but it can also be what you grow in your own backyard.

This is for everyone. If you have a Farmers' Market in your area we would like to see your photos. If you don't have a farmers' market how about a roadside produce stand? Or maybe you grow your own vegetables? Do you raise chickens or geese, do you use the eggs? We want to see your photos. Do you have a recipe that uses the fresh foods you buy/grow locally? You can post that as well.

There will be three challenges before winter! The first challenge will be Saturday July 31st. Hopefully that will give everyone plenty of time to get your photos and/or do a write up.

I will post Mister Linky the night before and you can link-up your post anytime that weekend. Once you have posted be sure to visit all the other entries.

This is not mandatory but if possible please grab one of the Farmers' Market Challenge buttons and place it on your sidebar with a link back to this post. I thank you in advance for spreading the news about the challenge.

I also have a little giveaway to go with the challenge but more about that later.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos and reading your stories, I hope you will join in on this fun and important event. See you on Saturday July 31st!

If you haven't entered my giveaway for the ViCera Ceramic Knife now is the time.

27 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm happy to see this challenge back again. It was fun to see all the posts last year.
☼ Sunny

Betsy from Tennessee said...

I will enjoy reading all of the Farmer's Market items in different areas of the country. Neat idea.

Hugs,
Betsy

AL said...

I'll be there! Count me in!

VanillaSeven said...

I love local produce by farmers. Their produce colors are so vibrant, and not to mentioned, healthier.

http://vanillaseven.com/2010/07/20/the-best-camera

Ginny said...

This is a very worthwhile challenge, and I know some of our blogging friends who go to farmers markets and already take great pictures of them!! It will be cool to see all the photos!

Icy BC said...

This sounds like fun, Judy. I'll keep my eye for roadside stands..

陳芳 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Madi and Mom said...

Hi J and Miss Cindi Lou Who...
Yippee Mom and I really and truly hope we can join in on the fun on 7/31.....however, here is the problem. H O T AS H E C K. This week in Raleigh starting today the temps will be 95 and climbing each day. Both weekend days will be 101 and we heard the remainder of July will have above average temperatures...so we might wait until the next challenge when it is cooler....Mom is a whimp when it comes to heat. Our Farmer's Market is beautiful in the Fall!!!
Madi and Mom

Sandra said...

i can't wait to see what shows up. i will have to think about this one, but you gave us plenty of time. my brain is hurting from thinking about where i can find local things... can you smell the sawdust

DJan said...

I've been taking pictures at the market this year, and now that this is coming around again (has it really been a year?), I'll definitely be showing off our wonderful market.

Bossy Betty said...

Great idea! Hummm....I might just get my body out to that farmer's market this Saturday....

The Japanese Redneck said...

I luv shopping at farmer's markets. Also, we grow some things too during the summer.

charmine. said...

Hi Judy!How fast time goes by!It's difficult to spot a farmers market in my city...infact,I don't know of any.There are weekly markets here,but the vendors tell us that the produce is not from their farms ,and that it comes from somewhere else :(

I have however shared this post on google reader and will tweet it out.
Have a nice day.

Linny said...

Sounds like a great challenge! Another great way to find out what's fresh in your area and other areas is by going to www.realtimefarms.com - a live local food guide!

charmine. said...

Judy,came back to say I'll take part in this event,though the produce is not local,still,I'll show you our markets.

Madi and Mom said...

J would it be toooooo boring if I participated in the July 31 post with just a picture of my Dad's home grown tomatoes? I have several pictures I took of them on my kitchen counter? I can write a little bit about him too.
C

Sharon Wagner said...

I keep meaning to take photos at the farmer's market. Next time for sure.

Dory and the Mama said...

Love this challenge...Not much color going on at our FM yet...but I'll see what I can out together!!

Madi and Mom said...

Morning J and Miss Cindi Lou,
What a beautiful header is it Heather? Thanks for your sweet comments as per always!!
Madi and Mom

Lynn said...

Count me in; going to the one in our little town this Saturday and I may drive into Austin for a bigger farmers market.

I do not particularly need anything since I've have a garden but plan to use the event as a training session for Luc, the Lab. I'm working on getting him ready to pass the Canine Good Citizen test so he can go onto train as a therapy dog.

aviewfromme said...

I'm so happy to see this challenge back this year. I enjoyed participating in it last year as I think we need to promote local produce as much as possible. Will be posting some pictures from our local farmer's markets. ~Jeanne

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

Judy, I am glad to see the challenge is back.

Ebie said...

Hi Judy, thanks for reviving this Farmers Challenge. I will be there on the 31st! I can see and taste the difference.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog, it has been a hectic almost two weeks tending to a sick cat. It has been a struggle giving orally her antibiotics. She's feeling better now and hopefully will be back on line in the next few days.

Self Sagacity said...

we love going to the farmer's market. It's just so nice knowing we are supporting our local merchants. I love the idea.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I remember this from last year. took some photos, but didn't like them. I will try again....

Indrani said...

This seems to a very interesting idea.
I am keen to participate too.

fredamans said...

I'm totally in! check my blog tomorrow.